Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas is That Crazy Time of Year!

Christmas, as I see it
 By Libertatem Orator

Yeah, I’m not immune to it either. I’m feeling the Christmas spirit lately, but it’s caused me to reflect on Christmas’ from the past. Make no mistake, Christmas is a commercial holiday. Yes, there is the traditional Catholic and Christian view that December 25th marks the birth of Jesus, the Christ, or Messiah (for those of you not in the theological know), although it’s widely debated that Jesus was born actually in later March, or Early April. Well, for those that don’t know, Christmas is what it is, when it is, due mainly to the Winter Solstice, and the pagan holiday where the sun remains along the same horizontal line for 3 days. So, the Church hitched on to this, and bang! December 25th it is!

Thoroughly confused yet? Sorry about that. But yes, that is how Christmas came to be December 25th. Back to what I originally said though, today, it is a commercial holiday. We are more concerned about celebrating the birth of the newest X-Box, rather than the birth of Jesus. And just recently, within the last couple decades at least, Black Friday has proved it, hands down. Or hands in fists, if you want that Tickle-Me-Elmo. Ok, I’ll admit, I went one year, just because I had to see the insanity for myself. And when I pulled up to Best Buy at 4am, and there was a row of tents already lined down the front of the store, I knew the proverbial cheese, had slid off the cracker of humanity.

The good news though, friends, is I believe, with this passing year, we are seeing the demise of Black Friday, because it’s just not what it was anymore. So, I predict, that Black Friday is suffering from a slow death. Perhaps we can get back to celebrating good times with friends and family once again, without worrying about having to take a second mortgage to finance your child’s must have toy’s. After all, that’s what Santa is for anyway, right? Let him foot some of the bill!

Now, don’t jump on me, because the whole, “Is he real, or isn’t he real? Thing. All I have to say is that guy did miracles for the 7 year old Autistic Child on Facebook yesterday. So, he’s real. Case closed. Now, this whole organization, In Middletown We Trust, is a politically motivated website, mainly conservative, but we’re all for the greater good, no matter the side. So, with that said, you can’t think of Christmas’s past, without thinking about what happened in 1989. I was a younger man back then (weren’t we all?), but right before Christmas, the Berlin Wall came down, and with it the Iron Curtain fell. Until very recently, my family had a very elderly relative that lived in Bremen, Germany, and she lived to the great age of 99, God Bless her. This of course means that she was exposed to all the unfortunate realities of being German in the 20th Century. So, I know it’s been 26 years now, but let’s be glad that among all the other problems we have in this world, communism really isn’t on our radar much anymore.

This Christmas, I thank God for being an American. I thank him for giving me the freedoms given me; to write articles like this. To argue my case, and be granted due process when I have a grievance. To be free to say, Thank you God! Many people in this world don’t have these most basic of freedoms. I’m thankful that I’m able to give back where I can, and maybe make someone smile once in a while. I’m thankful to have a job, and a roof over my head, and food in the fridge, when so many others have none of that. Maybe you don’t have a lot, but be thankful for what you do have, and if you have the ability, pay it forward and help out someone else. So, it’s with great pleasure that I have the freedom, to say may you all have a Merry Christmas!


(And if you’re offended by the Starbucks Cup- get a Sharpie, and some Creativity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment